Monday, October 6, 2008

Crowns and Rewards (Part 1)

So, what rewards do you have to look forward to on the day when Christ returns? Paul mentions the “Crown of Righteousness” in 2 Timothy.
“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.” (2 Timothy 4:7,8)
Paul has no doubt that he’ll receive this crown.  Who else receives it?  “All who have loved His appearing.”  So does the award have anything to do with our good works?  Our own righteousness?

2 comments:

mark pierson said...

Many on the free grace side would argue that being a Christian does not necessarily guarenty that one will love His appearing.

Ten Cent said...

Yes, Mark. I've heard that argument. But what that doesn't resolve for them is the reason the crown is given. It's not given to those who do good things as a reward for how good they lived their life. It's given to those who simply love His appearing.

What I find disturbing is their emphasis on works as if God is working on a tally system. That mindset can only lead to one end...at least in my estimation. I can only lead to legalism. The dividing line between pleasing God and not pleasing Him is not the works that we do, but rather the faith that we have in Him. Romans 14:3-if it's not of faith, then it's sin. Hebrews 11:6-without faith it is impossible to please Him.

That's what's prompting this series of looking at our rewards and how they are received. I want to show that our standing in Christ is not based on our good works.

In Christ,
Ten Cent